Re: exhaust temp gauges, where to find info to use?

To: james creasy <Black94PGT@pacbell.net>, <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: exhaust temp gauges, where to find info to use?
From: Lolita and Mike <lomike@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 19:24:44 -0700
on 5/6/02 11:22, james creasy at Black94PGT@pacbell.net wrote:

> ive got two exhaust temp gauges on my 2.4 liter I6 with dual SU carbs.  they
> appear to be on the front and rear cylinder header tubes.
>
> how do i use these, or where can i get info to learn about this?  with the
> unshaved needle floats, they ran about 1400 degrees at 4K RPM.
>
> im new to carbs.
>
> thanks!
>
> -james "EFI" creasy
> thevenom.net

James, There is probably more misinformation around about EGT than there is
about spinning straw into gold. They are used extensively in aircraft (
where we have the distinct advantage of running at a given rpm ) for the
dual purpose of fuel economy and being kind to that which gives you an
option of where you will land.
General rule for almost all operation is that you don't want to run much
less than 50-100 rpm on the rich side of peak EGT. (In air cooled aircraft
engines fuel is used to cool the the exhaust valves, and in fact our carbs
have an enrichment feature a WOT)
If you insist on becoming an expert, do a Google search and read to your
hearts content.
MJ