RE: How racers drive

To: "'Jerry Mouton'" <jerry@moutons.org>,
Subject: RE: How racers drive
From: Carl Merritt <CMerritt@luminous.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 09:55:05 -0800
> How do you figure that?  You're distracted when taking
> a bite, but the rest of the time you can concentrate.

You know the saying "can't chew gum and walk at the same time"?  ;-)

Okay, here's the study I heard about a while ago, constructed from NHTSA
data:
http://www.hsrc.unc.edu/pressrelease/distraction_testimony.htm

It's by no means conclusive, it's a study of crash data not new research
using controlled test, but I think it clearly points out that simply banning
cell phones without taking a deeper look at the larger issue would be a
short-sighted disservice to the driving public.

And there are new studies using controlled test that are in the works, found
this interesting tidbit online as well:
http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/nrd-01/SAE/Mazzae.PDF

> So you're saying that since there are REALLY distracting
> things, it's OK to distract yourself with a cell phone?
> BZZZZT!  Wrong answer.

Yes, I am saying that.  Driving is dangerous, and any distraction no matter
how small will at least slightly increase the risk.  However, I don't
believe in maximum safety at any cost, and drilling down the list to outlaw
something that only effects things by a percentage point or two and trying
to enforce it is a waste of time and resources, especially if one hasn't
taken care of the more statistically significant items first.

> Don't eat while driving, though, don't phone
> while driving, we'll all be better off.

Don't do anything distracting while driving, I agree.  However, how about
simply outlawing erratic distracted driving instead of simply cell phones.
Then you can write down the license plate# and file a complaint against
those people doing their make-up or eating a bigmac and weaving all over the
road too.

> Or, is it OK to drive distracted?

There are degrees of distraction, you can't simply make it black & white
like that.  Are you as fresh and attentive after driving for more than 2
hours?  No?  Well then maybe we should make cars that don't run for more
than 2 hours without a break period to keep people safe.

And how about climate controls, should you wait until the distraction from
your discomfort at the temperature inside the vehicle is greater than the
distraction from adjusting the controls before touching them?  Or pass a law
mandating fully automated systems with no controls at all?

Or Music systems.  Distracting to adjust, sure, but they can certainly help
keep a driver alert some times as well.  The problem here is probably more
from people digging for CDs (ban CD players that will eject discs while the
car is in motion?) or channel surfing (put a timer in and you can only
change stations every 10 minutes?  Or only adjustable when the car isn't in
motion?).

> Heck, I guess if reckless driving is against the law,
> we can just take all the other highway laws off the books, right ; -)

Some...I think the current reckless driving law requires a pretty high grade
of erratic behavior, so it might not really be applicable to your average
cell/eating/makeup/reading/distracted driving who is "driving by brail" down
the highway.  Maybe making a couple grades of reckless driving standards and
consequences if caught would help cover more bases without trying to
legislate specific devices and asking the cops to somehow enforce it.

The bottom line is the question of how much individual decision making and
individual responsibility are we going to legislate away in the name of
safety?  Much better in my mind to carefully craft a broad rule that says
"don't drive like an idiot", let people have their personal freedoms, and
let law enforcement punish those people who can't handle their freedom
responsibly.

Oh, and back to the last issue of heavy SUVs for safety.  This is actually a
perfect example of a Nash Equilibrium, for anybody who's seen A Beautiful
Mind.  While the over all public safety would be best served by light cars
and therefore less energy in any collision, individuals look at their
individual situation and see that they and their family will be safest in a
heavy car.  Therefore quite understandably people start buying heavier and
heavier vehicles and the whole system breaks down.  I don't think there is
any big surprise here that people look out for them selves before everybody
else, that's reasonably normal behavior for an average joe or jane, the
question is how those people we elected who are supposed to be watching the
big picture and working for the public good go about fixing the situation.

Lastly some mandatory AutoX content:  I just put GC coilovers on my ZX.
550lb front and 450lb rear.  Am I going to blow the heck out of my Tokico
Illuminas with these spring rates?

-Carl