Handling Question

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Handling Question
From: "Rob Weinstock" <weinstro@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 20:07:39 +0200
I'm in Europe for awhile, and get to watch World Rally Championships about
every other week. These cars are usually all-wheel drive, 4-cylinder,
overboosted cars, such as Mitsubishi Lancer, Suburu Impreza, Peuguot 206,
Citroen something-or-other, Skoda, etc.

Anyway, on tight road courses, the drivers corner like they are on dirt. For
example, on a hairpin switch back, they will brake, turn-in, stomp the gas
which gets all 4 wheels spinning and the car rotating, then oversteer (power
steer, really) through the rest of the turn.

Is this really the quickest way through a turn? It seems counterintuitive to
what we normally do on the autocross courses.

Anybody with a V8-powered car want to go through $1500 in tires in one day
and find out if it's faster? :)

Idley curious.

Thanks,

Rob