Tire Question

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Tire Question
From: Mike Eynon <stingray@onth.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 10:09:40 -0700
After getting a couple races under my belt, I think I am ready to bump up to
big-kid tires.  After blowing through $1200 of street tires in 6 months,
racing rubber all of a sudden has a high WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor).

Unfortunately, I am pretty darn limited as to what I can run if I wanna stay
in AS.  The only tires that will fit my stock size rims are Hoosiers; which
I have heard are not the best tires for rookie racers.  The only other
possible option I have is to run a set of Khumos all round, but they do not
make a 245/40 R17... only a 245/45 R17; which I have also heard is not a
good choice for my E36 M3.

I suppose the third option that seems a little unorhtodox would be to run
Hoosiers in the rear, and Khumos up front.  Doesn't seem to me that would be
a very good solution.

Finally, I have read the TireRack speel on heat-cycling.  Seems like a good
plan to pay the extra $15 since AutoX doesn't seem like it would be a good
means for breaking the tires in.

Comments?

// Mike Eynon
// '98 M3 #27 AS