harness question (driver pinned by head under car)

To: ba autox <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: harness question (driver pinned by head under car)
From: James Creasy <black94pgt@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2001 10:00:27 -0700
ive copied a message from yesterday below.  (this wasnt me, BTW)

is there some safe way of securing my simpson harness so the release cant
get flipped up and make me into a human missle?  i realize you also want to
be able to get free quickly, but you underhanded-shuffle steer in my car so
the release is right near your arm.

is an open car more like a motorcyle (M rated helmet) or a car (SA (fire)
rated helmet).  i have no idea if that guy had a cheap or expensive helmet
BTW.

-james c, in the market for a new helmet now

-----------
The Cobra (SPF) ... lost it in turn 10, impacted tire wall and guard rail.
Driver was in fact ejected from car and the car did have him pinned under by
his HELMET. When driver was ejected and car came back off tire wall his
helmet actually acted as a chock between the fuel cell and ground. Driver
extricated from situation, backboarded, imobilized and transported by
ambulance and EMS crew on scene for further evaluation. Driver was checked
over with minor complaints, taken to hospital, checked by staff and
released. Driver said harness was buckled (?) but he may have hit release
lever when attempting to save car. Car withstood hard impact extremely well.
Now think about how inexpensive of a helmet or any safety equipment do you
want to get by with? FYI helmets are impact rated for ONE impact only and
after that only make good conversation pieces. DO NOT take a chance on
safety equipment. A good helmet did in fact save this gentleman's life.
Otherwise a good day. Got to watch Earl Groce(engine problems late in the
day) and Ralph Button having a ball. Lots of snakes and some other FFR's in
attendance too. Looking for more fun tommorrow!