Pylon for February 2000

To: "BayArea Team.Net" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Pylon for February 2000
From: "John F. Kelly Jr." <76067.1750@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 22:06:17 -0500
The February 2000 issue of
North American Pylon went into the mail today.

        SM doesn't mean Sado-Masochism. Included in this issue are several
discussions on the new Street Modified class and how the class came into
being without many people being aware of it, including the Solo Events
Board. The National Board of Directors, uh, well . . .

        Highlights:
                The new for 2000 Street modified rules.
                Wisconsin Ice autocrossing. At 33 degrees. Isn't that when
ice begins to melt?
                Autocrossing in Pahrump, NV, that suburb northwest of Las
Vegas.
                Autocrossing in Las Vegas, NV.
                Dixie Region opens in north Florida.
                Interview with Jeff Cashmore, the 1999 H Stock National
Champion.
                We salute all A Stock drivers who weren't in our October
'99 issue.
                And we remember the '99 SEDiv Divisional.

                Jean Kinser and Byron Short tell about plans for the 2000
Evolution-McKamey School. (In case you missed it, Kinser now owns the
school and is slowly changing the name to reflect that.)

                The 2000 PAX index, including a number for Street Modified.
                The 2000 RTP index, as in Racer's Theoretical Performance

Colums:
                Pat Kelly talks about the need for speed and how it
apparently affect the iunvention of a new class.
                Bryan Beckman (The Physics of Racing) gets into how to make
your tires stick (this doesn't cover soaking).
                Lorenzo the Scribe describes the "class revolution" we all
missed!
                Editor John Kelly notes: "After browsing through the
New-for-2000 Street Touring and Street Modified rules, I'm not sure much in
there is naivensess and how much is conspiratorial." Editor Kelly also
describes the pitfalls of drag-type starts in autocrossing.
                Ace Reporter Katie Kelly interviews Dennis Grant of
Windsor, Ontario, who served as the point man and chaired the ad hoc
committee which was voted into place by the SCCA's National Board during
their Dec. 3-4, 1999 meeting. Grant's U.S.A. autocrossing experience, not
mentioned in Pylon includes three appearances at the SCCA Solo II Nationals
with his Diamond Star Motors Eclipse, gaining a GS 37th in '97, a GS 33rd
in '98, and a 32nd in ESP last year.

        J.D. Kemp philosophizes about a wheel leaving home.
        DeWitt Boyd, sage of Washington, DC, well okay Fairfax, VA, recalls
speedier days.
        Noriel Acorda of the Cone Crazy web page includes preparation
thoughts.

        PLUS: Our calendar continues to grow. Club leaders FAX your
schedules to: (925) 846-0118, or reply to he above address.

        Check out our web page at: <http://www.napylon.com>

        Subscriptions are $24 for 12 monthly issues. Call 1-800-KT-KELLY
9-5 PST and charge to your Visa or MasterCard.
        Want to send in your opinion on the new Street Modified? Be sure
and read the rules first. There's more there than meets the eye. Reply to
the above e-mail address. Be sure to include your hometown and daytime
phone number. We verify the authorship of all letters.

--John Kelly