[Autox] Brake light issue

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: [Autox] Brake light issue
From: Sethracer@aol.com
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 02:21:49 EDT
In a message dated 5/16/2010 11:29:26 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
autox-request@autox.team.net writes:

The  brake light on my Lumina (I know it's not a Ford product) did
exactly the  same thing.  After doing some research, it turned out to
be the turn  signal switch.  I have no idea why it was routed there,
but it  was.

Almost all cars, at least all cars that use the same filament for both  the
brake and the turn signal lights, feed the brake lights through the  turn
signal switch, so that if you are sitting still with the brakes on, making  a
turn, the rear turn signal lights on that side will still flash on and
off. The turn signal feed circuit interrupts the brake circuit and feeds its
own  flashing power to it.

So - the question is, do the turn signal lights still work on the Explorer?
 - on the assumption that the same filament is used for both brake and
turn.  If the turn signals work, it is the circuit feeding the turn signal
switch that is bad. If neither the turn or brake lights work, it is  probably
the feed from the switch back to the rear bulbs.

I hope you find it!

Seth  Emerson

C's the Day! - Corvair, Camaro,  Corvette

Autox@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $11.47
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive