AutoX Radios

To: autox@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: AutoX Radios
From: "Kevin Venisnik" <kvenisn@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 14:55:55 -0700
Our club (AZ Region) has a need for more radios and since I am not exactly
an expert on the subject I thought I would see what collective wisdom might
be out there.

We currently have 11 Motorola "business grade" radios.  We have 10 PC-10's
and 1 Spirit MV24CVS.  These are all obsolete radios that have been replaced
by the XV2100 (1 channel) and XV2600 (6 channels).  Talking to Motorola
these business grade radios are superior to the GMRS/FRS stuff because they
are more powerfull (2 watts), more rugged to handle rough use and have
special business frequencies that will not see as much traffic as the
GMRS/FRS stuff.  Also, our particular radios are the VHF models (versus UHF,
which also is what FRS/GMRS appears to be).

The question is would we be better off adding to our existing suite of
radios with the replacement XV2100/2600 (cost $200 to $260) or should we
switch over to GMRS/FRS?  From my research it appears GMRS/FRS radios are
usually 1/2 to 1 watt with some have a couple 2 watt channels.  Any experts
out there that could offer an informed opinion or maybe point me in the
right direction of where to research?

Thanks,
Kevin Venisnik
AZ Region Equipment Chief