Re: Potential new helmet rule would affect autocrossers

To: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>, "Hugh Barber"
Subject: Re: Potential new helmet rule would affect autocrossers
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 02:10:42 -0600
Untrue. Not everyone we might advise is into motorsport.  Some years ago I
used that very argument with my dad. His latest toy (in his late 60s) was a
moped to zip through San Francisco traffic. He had no intention of ever
doing anything that would require a Snell-rated helmet, but needed some kind
of hardhat to ride the moped. So he bought the proverbial ten-dollar helmet
(okay, so maybe it was closer to 50 bucks). Of course it had no ratings of
any kind, not Snell, not DOT, nuttin'. He was not that pleased when I
demonstrated that I could compress it almost to failure just by squeezing
the sides with my hands, but my mom told me he did go out later and bought a
better helmet.

She was pleased that not long after, he sold the moped.

--Rocky