Re: Magnetic Car numbers

To: apunk1@msn.com, autox@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Magnetic Car numbers
From: pethier@isd.net
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 13:21:40 -0500
>Any recommendations where to have numbers made for my car. Somewhere close
>Livermore, Ca.(bay area). Or can I buy the numbers and material myself?

The ones I make myself are actually more visible than many of the ones you
can buy, and will work on any color car.

I use the heavy-duty white magnetic background and black 3M ControlTac (NOT
SCOTCHCAL!) film.

I print on my printer at home in Helvetica Bold or similar simple sanserif
font and use the outline style to save on ink. Roughly cut out numbers,
leaving a half-inch or so of paper outside the outline. Punch holes in
paper numbers with a paper punch.

(Rocky Mountain Solo has a page where you can print from a PDF.  Go to
http://www.rmsolo.org/makenumbers.html  This will use up more toner than
outline numbers, though.)

Lay out the rough-cut numbers on black film. Put a square of scotch tape
over each punched hole.

Cut out the numbers with scissors, following the lines on the paper.

Peel off the paper outline and throw it away.

The 3M ControlTac film allows pretty easy repositioning until you really
press on it. Even months later, I have found that it can be removed with
patience and fingernails. Putting it in the freezer first helps.

Using a white background insures that the numbers will work on any color
car. Studies have shown that monochrome reflection contrast is the only
thing that really counts. Color-contrast is essentially worthless. The best
contrast is, predictably, black and white.

Large magnetic pieces stay on the car better than numbers cut out of
magnetic material. I have put large magnetics on cars bridging over rubber
trim, and they still stayed on the car at autocross speeds.

>Also how do you get permanent numbers for Solo II from SCCA.

That's a local thing.  In the Twin Cities, the guy to see is me.  Dunno who
is the Numbers Czar in the Bay Area.

Phil Ethier