Photoheads, Reflectors, and mounts (oh my!)

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Photoheads, Reflectors, and mounts (oh my!)
From: "John A. Carriere" <jacarriere@jacircuits.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 23:05:32 -0400
Mark et al,

The JACircuits reflectors have a reflectivity in the vicinity of 2.  Woody
said it best, the bigger and more reflectivity the better.  Using a larger
temporary target with reflectivity of 0.7 works great for quick alignment
as travis noted.

Photoheads and reflectors are like glasses - if they are wet or dirty, you
just can't see very well.  It pays to keep them clean and dry.

Banner does indeed make quality products.

Regarding the ball bearing in the precision aligners.  I've been epoxying
them in place for a couple of years now.  That keeps them in place if
someone picks up the photohead and stand up by the head.  Those precision
aligners were designed for precision mirror placement in laboratory laser
systems.  They were really not made for an outdoor environment, but they
work very well.  They just can not take too much abuse.

John Carriere
JACircuits
http://www.jacircuits.com/

Mark Andy wrote:
>I'd like to make up some spare parts for our club's JACircuits timing
>system...  Part of that would be reflectors.
>
>The housing for the reflector is just a parts bin, which I can easily
>source for cheap.  What about the reflector material?  Is this readily
>available?
>
>Any reason not to make the reflectors a bit bigger to ease timing light
>setup?
>
>Hoping someone's been down this road already...  Thanks!
>
>Mark

and

and Travis Dixon wrote:

>One thing I've seen suggesed to to make a "backboard" out of the reflective
>material they use for road signs that you can use just for alignment
purposes.

>Do you have the laser heads too? Our big problem seems to be people
picking them up by
>the head (well, and sliding a car into them) which deforms the springs
that make the micro
>adjusters work. This also leads to losing the ball-bearing pivot point.

JACircuits Autocross Timing Systems
    http://www.jacircuits.com
- Timing the SCCA Solo II Nationals since 1985