Service Manuals

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Service Manuals
From: Craig & Cynthia Naylor <magazine@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 12:24:20 -0800
Quote:From: "Charles" <golden1@britsys.net> - my contention being is that we
are required to own/use a flawed (for the purpose) document as our "bible" to
live or die by. Discuss!

Although I don't Autocross the car, I went to my local VW dealer to find out
the cost of the Service manual for my '02 Jetta Wagon.  They provided me the
price, told me they didn't stock the item, it was a special order prepay only
item that would have to be ordered from Germany and to expect a 4-6 week turn
around.  The Dealer employee than informed me that they did stock the Chilten
(sp) manual, and actually recommended it over the factory manual stating it was
much more detailed and accurate at a lower price.  I kind of did a double take,
here I was standing in a VW dealers parts dept., knowing this whole debate
taking place on Team.net over factory vs. after market manuals, and an employee
was telling me that the after market book was more accurate than the
manufactures book.  How's them apples.

Quote: From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net> - Consider also, the
documentation rule is not mandatory at the local level (the whole rule book is
for Tours/Divisionals/Nationals).

Define mandatory.... Although I have a service manual for my Integra, I have
never been require to show it, or even asked if I had one at registration,
tech, or impound, at a Tour or Pro.  At the local level, only the mandatory
rules (I think they all have to do with Safety issues) must be followed,
however it would be very confusing to local competitors if local (supplemental)
rules did not spell out exact details on anything you did not follow the
national rules.  Here in san Diego our Supplemental rule book states that
unless a rule is specifically altered, than the national rules apply.  One area
that is altered is the time frame for protests, since we don't impound after
runs.

--
Cynthia & Craig Naylor
Naylor & Naylor