Re: 1st Gen Miata Crank Question

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 1st Gen Miata Crank Question
From: Davard@aol.com
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2004 17:00:48 -0500
>From: "Rick Cone" <rickcone@bellsouth.net>
>Subject: 1st Gen Miata Crank Question
>
>as it relates to STS2 or ST2 (whatever we are calling it)...
>
>Can the '90 Miata's run the '91 1/2 and up cranks?  I know there was a prob
>with the 90's and early 91's... Were they covered under a TSB, or superseeded
>part by Mazda?
>
>Thanks..
>Rick

I believe so. Mazda tends not to keep around old parts. When they redesigned
the part for '91, they would have superceded the earlier part in their parts
catalog.

For my Protege (the '90 Proteges had the same crank end-design), all the parts
available from Mazda are '94-spec parts, including the pistons, with their
slightly higher actual compression ratio (the spec stayed the same).

David Avard
'90 Mazda Protege w/'94 heart transplant