Re: STS2 and SMU at National events

To: "Josh Sirota" <josh@sirota.org>, <autox@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: STS2 and SMU at National events
From: "Chuck" <golden1@britsys.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 11:17:04 -0500
Dang, I totally missed the adding of these classes for Atlanta. I could have
come in first in a class there!!!! There seems to be a rash of "secret"
rules being written. I was announced after the event started that tire
covers were no longer allowed at Prosolos, not that they would have done any
good there unless they could double as water wings or poncho, but it would
have made a great deal of more room for packing had we left ours home. It's
probably a good rule as you couldn't possibly use them between runs so the
only people that would have benefitted is second drivers holding in some of
their first drivers tire heat under dry conditions giving them yet another
advantage (see below).
IMHO this weekend's event showcased what I see as some of the weaknesses
with running each round's 4 runs consecutively.
Unless you have a NASCAR pitcrew working for you, there isn't enough time to
check/adjust even two tire's pressures between runs unless you are chasing
the car thru the staging lanes while they are moving. That's an accident
waiting to happen, it's only a matter of time before someone's hand or foot
or worse gets run over. If you are alone, there is absolutely no chance to
make any adjustments. With a changing weather event like this one, you have
to guess at the proper setup before your round of runs, with no chance to
change it if you misjudged. If the conditions change between rounds, you
once again have to guess on the new settings. It makes guessing chassis
setup rather than just driving skill a major player in the results. I think
it will push more people into externally adjustable remote rez. shocks, the
only possible way to adjust setup without risking life or limb crawling
under a moving car.
This system also offers a tremendous advantage and small disadvantage to
second drivers. Especially if there is a large class in the run group
running between first and second drivers it can be a 1/2 hr or more after
first driver before the second drivers run. This gives a lot of time to make
major adjustments on the car based on first driver's experience, observe
runs, get in-depth briefings on course conditions, line, etc., cool tires at
hot weather events, or even change tires, that isn't afforded the first or
single driver cars. If the weather is in a changable pattern, the second
driver may have significantly different conditions to run under. I see a
change coming in two driver teams electing to use low numbers to stretch out
this delay when weather is poor, and more two driver teams.

As a side note, I'd like to praise the volunteer course workers for working
Sunday AM, manning each station with a single worker under near winter
hurricane conditions braving the tidal waves as the cars passed just so we
could play swamp buggy. You are truly hardcore!