Re: olympics

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: olympics
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 00:53:10 -0600
I've heard that one since the '70s.

I suspect it is mostly wishful thinking.

Just coming up with classing and specs would be a nightmare. Take what we
run in the SCCA, add all the specs and classes non-SCCA clubs invent, then
imagine all the ways other countries find to build and have fun with cars
and cap it with FIA (or FIA-type) bureaucracy which easily rivals the
Olympic bureaucracy for obtuseness.

I seriously doubt anything as complex as a car will find its way into an
Olympics. By comparison, yachting specs are simple (and have a more
international acceptance). Yachting is the most comparable Olympic sport
that comes to mind that has a number of classes based on equipment and not
size of the players.

--Rocky Entriken