Turbos and things...

To: "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Turbos and things...
From: "Ayer, John K" <john.k.ayer@boeing.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 16:43:49 -0800
Pardon my digest delayed response...

Fedja wrote: "One of the interesting ideas is to have unlimited boost for all.
Then class each of those cars to the new (if needed) appropriate classes. The
fact here is that in the case of 2G DSMs (guess what I am driving for an extra
bonus?), boost controller or not, you are limited to around 275 HP. The turbo
that is in those cars is just that small and it can't run any higher. I do
believe that every turbo car has such a limit, and if assumed that limit will
be achieved, car should be classed to the class where those numbers make
sense. Or just leave it as is and if car happens to be too fast, move it to
the higher class!"

This is probably the best idea!  Not truly unlimited boost, but unlimited as
far as mechanical portion of the system. Keep the stock turbo and wastegate.
With those as a fixed easily measured orifice, horribly outrageous power can
NOT be made. Fuel cutoff or no, if you take a WRX above 16 lbs, your motors on
borrowed time.  There may be some discomfort during the transition while cars
are sorted and developed, but my observation is most turbo cars (except that
STi!) are conservatively classed already.

The WRX is limited by it's tiny turbo, as are the other AWD cars, if you try
to flow too much volume, max pressure cannot even be attained. I imagine all
2.0 liter cars are limited to about the same 275 as the DSMs.  Hardly an
overmatch for a 345hp (stock) Camaro-bird, and far more difficult to drive
effectively using that power.

The WRX STi, I don't know about, but no way can I build a standard WRX up to
catch it, so I'd vote for booting it to BSP!  And the Evo has a distinct
weight advantage, so up to BSP with it as well!  Tough call though, too fast
for ESP but facing the Carvettes would be hell!

(No dog in this fight since right now you MUST have an STi to run AWD in
ESP... so I'll go back to building my 160hp TVR for ASP, now that's a fair
fight!)

Kimball Ayer,

DS #61 aka The Last Living Stock WRX :)