RE: 04 Nats and Runoffs dates

To: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>, <BobTunnell@aol.com>,
Subject: RE: 04 Nats and Runoffs dates
From: "Mike Clements" <mikec@actional.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 10:12:56 -0800

At first it sounded backwards to me but it is correct. The reason for this is
interesting.

Since 365 mod 7 = 1, a normal year is 52 weeks and 1 day long. Thus the week
shifts forward by one day each year, and by two days on leap years.

For example, Jan 1 2003 was a Wednesday, and Jan 1 2004 will be a Thursday, etc.

Since the day on which the month beings shifts forward each year, the 1st
Monday in that month shifts backward (numerically smaller date). The one
exception is when the month begins on a Monday, in which case the next year the
first monday of that month will be the 7th (if not a leap year).