Carfax thought

To: 911/993/996 <911@rennlist.org>, 944@rennlist.org, nersolo@ner.org,
Subject: Carfax thought
From: Matt Murray <mattm@optonline.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 12:33:10 -0500
I was asked to repost this. As always, "Caveat Emptor."
Matt Murray

Matt,

thank you.

i am writing directly because i have trouble getting my replies posted on
the Rennlist. i am not sure why.

what i like to let you know that the three carfax reports on my cars today
thanks to your post, as they were 3 years ago when i checked my cars with
Carfax are wrong. my cars qualify for the $5k reward, are clean and show
with 40k miles less and the other with 80k less miles. four years ago they
showed one with a salvage title and the correct mileages.

here is what i thing happened, in my state the DMV switched over to a new
program in 2000, i think it's called Gemini system, and it deleted all the
information that were on file or it can't update to carfax. one stopped at
1998 and the other at 1996. this when i purchased both cars. i knew the
salvage history and the title here is marked "rebuilt". [it had the top and
interior stolen, no accident] i bought both cars in another state.

the only other thing is that i had the three cars registered and smogged by
the state every year and still are in use.

now if i wanted to, i could sell the three cars with lower mileage, one
shows 56k miles and the other 85k miles, actually they  have over 100k now.
and the salvage title one would be clean.

please don't trust carfax, because CR magazine had an article several
months ago on how to have cars that have been totaled in an accident still
retain a "clean title".
also i read that many Florida and other eastern states that have floods
from hurricanes etc. have a clean title, but are water damaged and written
off but the insurance company, but not showing up as Salvage title as required.

(name deleted as per request)

i also had another car involved that was totaled by my insurance company. i
bought it back and fixed it up and it's back on the road. this car also has
a clean title, because i retained position. i can sell this as clean also.
i am just a regular guy that is not a mechanic and i don't own a business,
can you IMAGINE what the Pros are doing out there??? yes, don't go by CARFAX.