Re: Math problem (triangle area solution)

To: "Crider, James A." <JamesCrider@metaldyne.com>, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Math problem (triangle area solution)
From: Matt Murray <mattm@optonline.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 14:02:31 -0500
Thanks!

Matt Murray

----- Original Message -----
From: "Crider, James A." <JamesCrider@metaldyne.com>
To: <mattm@optonline.net>; <autox@autox.team.net>
Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 1:22 PM

<mattm@optonline.net> said:

> >Okay, we know I am a little thick.  :^)
>
> >I gotta triangle that one side is 190, the next side is 125
and the third
> >is 170. How much area do I have?
>
> >I should know this but I am blanking out.
>
> Triangle area is 1/2bh.  If 190 is the base, a quick bit of
scaled sketching yields a height of 110, so area is
0.5(190)(110), or 10450 square units.  A quick bit of trig says
that the angle between the 190 and 125 sides is 61.64 degrees,
the angle between the 190 and 170 sides is 40.32 degrees, and the
angle between the 170 and 125 sides is 78.04 degrees.  Okay, that
last one was easy -- the sum of the three angles in a triangle
must equal 180 degrees, so if you know two of them, the third is
what's left.

> This has been today's mathematics lesson. :)
>
> Jim Crider
> autojim@despammed.com

> This email message is intended only for the addressee(s) and
contains information that may be confidential and/or copyright.
If you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender by
reply email and immediately delete this email. Use, disclosure or
reproduction of this email by anyone other than the intended
recipient(s) is strictly prohibited. No representation is made
that this email or any attachments are free of viruses. Virus
scanning is recommended and is the responsibility of the
recipient. Thank you. Metaldyne LLC