San Diego Fires

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: San Diego Fires
From: "Ron Chapman" <CHAPMANR@calbt.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 10:45:52 -0800
I know everyone has seen the news and the posts on this list about the
San Diego fires.  I've been a California resident for 40 years, and the
enormity of this fire boggles my mind.  Acreage is a rather abstract
concept, so let me put it this way- the range of homes destroyed in this
fire is 50 miles long, right along the eastern edge of San Diego.

San Diego Region has 67 autocrossing members located in the zip codes
which have been impacted by the fire.  So far, we know of one couple,
Jerry and Judy Becker, who lost their home and most of their belongings,
including their race cars.  Anyone who has run more than event or two in
San Diego certainly knows the Beckers, as they have been fixtures at our
events for 30 years.  I would guess that we have have other members who
lost their homes as well.

Through California Bank & Trust, Randy Chase and I have set up a fund
to help the autocross community's fire victims.  We will keep the books
in such a way as to allow donors to either donate their money to
specific people they  may know, or to put it in a pool to be divided
among all of the autocross community who lost their homes.

If you wish to donate, the place to send your check (payable to "SD
Autox Fire Relief") to:

California Bank & Trust
Attn: Ron Chapman
402 West Broadway, Suite 190