Qualifying for Solo 2 Nationals

Subject: Qualifying for Solo 2 Nationals
From: Matt Murray <mattm@optonline.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2003 14:50:30 -0400
Okay, Hugh, I gotta step in here.

The MINI guys didn't belong there? Nonsense. I met Sho Tagawa
(STS at Nationals) at a Drop Zone Event (West Point parachute
site, home to the 93/94 Northeast Divisionals and countless local
events) in the late eighties. Both he and I ran Toyota Corolla
GT-Ss. He ran competitively. He has since gone on to road racing
in the Corolla and now in a BMW 2002 (hey, he was running so long
ago that he's been at Bridgehampton). And you could not find a
nicer competitor, either. And the other MINI guy was extremely
nice when a certain BMW product took a little wind out of the
MINIs' debut at the Solo 2 Nationals last year. Nice enough to
sponsor part of the DC National Tour this year.

Since I am on a white wine soaked rant (hey, day off, I'm
entitled), when I started attending Nationals, I was in 20th
something place for a few years (E Stock?). Hugh, should I have
backed off since I wasn't qualified due to placement? I kept
plugging away. Finally had a bunch of trophies for bride's maids
positions (I can't remember the first trophy I won, but it made
the trip back home easier).

So you have to crawl before you walk. That's what makes
autocross/Solo2 fun. Guess what, you can attend, too. We'll all
embrace you and the other new folks, just starting out. That is
the sport.

Now, back to my glass of French wine.  :^)

Matt Murray