Re: Off topic: S2000 car rental

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Off topic: S2000 car rental
From: Sam & Greg Scharnberg <samandgreg@netins.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2003 21:23:30 -0500
The motor in an S2 is the same as in a Formula Continental.  It only puts
out 140 HP and is not a problem to lug around in the pits at 1000 rpm.  The
cam is a stock Ford street grind and the redline is around 7200 rpm.

There are several reasons why clutches would experience a great deal of wear.

1)  Most of the cars have a 70 mph 1st gear that makes it difficult to
drive slow.

2)  The clutch disk is solid metal with .020" of metal friction material
sintered on the two sides.  This does NOT take well to being slipped at all.

3)  The cars, in my opinion, should never be shifted using the clutch.  If
you use the clutch to shift, it will wear faster.

All that being said, I drive my Citation around the paddock without any
problems and have 20+ races on the clutch disk.  If the clutch is a known
weakness, I have not heard about it.

Greg Scharnberg
94 Citation SF - FC
82 Ralt RT5 - BM