More on Course Design School

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: More on Course Design School
From: James Rogerson <jrogerson@Houston.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 07:42:05 -0600
Again, here in Houston.
It is mandatory for all event chairs to sit through Roger's course design
school.  We hold it every January.  We all do it as a refresher for most
and new to those that are just that new.  The "class" is open to anyone
that wishes to take it, advertised on our website.  During those frozen
days in January come down and have a doughnut and coffee with us.  Roger is
the presenter, he calls on me on occasion for SSS and comic relief.
Rocky, I disagree on this point.  It's a good thing to refresh yourself on
basic concepts periodically.  That's the intent of the "school" for those
that have gone through it.  The new folks we just want to introduce them to
what the basic concepts are.  Our course approval plan here is submission
two months prior to event.  Review in open committee.  The design is either
returned for adjustment or accepted pending actual setup and safety test.
Roger and I do not run for regional points.  We test every course in three
phases.  First we just putt through and check the visuals (can you find the
course).  Then we begin checking for runoff and crazy driver
syndrome.  We'll drive the course on street tires driving off line and over
aggressive (spin inducement).  We then will run a fast car on race tires
and see if the course has any problems in that associated with raw
speed.  Our events are on Sunday, we setup on Saturday.  It's a luxury, I
know.  When we run at a site that requires same day setup, Roger and I do
the same routine in a compacted time frame.
The course design handout that Roger has put together is not just his
work.  It's a compilation of the work of many, so it is broad spectrum and
should be used as a guideline for the club.  At least that's my opinion.

Further, if any region wants a personal presentation, Roger is just an
e-mail away.  You'll have to buy his ticket, but he'll go anywhere.  You'll
have to supply your own comic relief.  When Roger and I travel together, he
requires a single malt properly aged.

James Rogerson
  [FP #125] - Tekless Racing
jrogerson@houston.rr.com
"Nails are glue, hypothetically speaking" - Lou Fertle
"Men that like golf are unhappy at home and incapable of having a
meaningful relationship with women" - Joseph Heller
"When law and morality contradict one another, the citizen has the cruel
alternative of either losing his sense of morality or losing his respect
for the law."  - Federic Bastiat
"I leave my friends behind and rush the stage to try to dance with Reno,
only to find myself in a small group of men living the same fantasy."  -
Joel Stein of Time Magazine