Re:Autocross history

To: pjh@mccc.edu, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:Autocross history
From: pethier@isd.net
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 12:55:57 -0600
>On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, Kelly, Katie wrote:
>
>> Before there was autocross, there was gymkhana, which was
>> introduced to the English language in 1877.

When I started in 1968 in the the Twin Cities, "gymkhana" applied to what is
now known as "autocross".  The car was used only in forward gears, no gimmicks.
 This usage continued here into the seventies.

Gimmick events were known as "funkhana".  I was at a few events with the 3M
Sports Car Club and the Univac Sports Car Club that really put the "funk" in
"funkhana".

More-recently, I missed the Funkhana at the VTR convention last summer due to
a factory defect in a tire tube.  Bummer.  All was repaired in time to do the
Poker Rally and the Autocross.  Cool to be a an event where it was possible
to get a trophy in a car running wire wheels and skinny tires!

Phil Ethier
TR4 and Europa
Saint Paul Minnesota