Re: SC MR2 in CSP

To: autox <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: SC MR2 in CSP
From: "Burns, James B." <James.Burns@jhuapl.edu>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 15:21:40 -0500
I'm thinking that the SC MR2 might have a hard time matching the power to
weight ratio of the Hondas and Miatas in CSP.  The problem is that it won't
make much more power in CSP trim than in stock since you aren't allowed to
change the supercharger pulley to raise boost.  Headers and engine
management will help a little, but not much.  So you may end up with similar
power to the CSP Hondas and Miatas (probably won't match the 1.8L Miatas,
though), but the MR2SC weighs significantly more than those cars, especially
since all the SC cars came with t-tops and aero add-ons and more power
conveniences.  The mid-engine layout will help, but I don't think you can
make the strut suspension at all four corners work as well as the Miata's
double wishbone setup.

I really like these cars, and they are a blast to drive, but I'm not sure
how competitive they will be in CSP.  CSP is definitely a better fit for
them than ASP, though.

Brad Burns