Re: [evolution-disc.] Will changing tie rod position mess up

To: Dave Hardy <dave2020@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: [evolution-disc.] Will changing tie rod position mess up
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 15:15:21 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Mon, 30 Dec 2002, Dave Hardy wrote:
> My Civic has pretty significant bump-steer issues given the amount
> that it is lowered.  I'm now looking to fix those issues.  A simple
> fix that would go a long way towards getting the tie rods back to
> parallel with the LCA would be to simply flip the tie rod from the top
> of the steering knuckle's steering arm to the bottom of it.  Simply
> ream the hole from the bottom, flip the tie rod, align the car, and
> I'm done.  This is what the production class road racers do to fix the
> problem.  I may still do this, but I'm also considering something more
> radical...

First off, why not use a spacer stack setup to get your bump steer exactly
where you want it?  This is totally common in the lowered Mustang world...

> One concern is that shortening the steering arm will screw up the
> Ackerman geometry.  I don't think it will, as I think that it is the
> angle of the steering arm, not the length, that defines said geometry.
> I have not 100% convinced myself of this yet though, so I wanted to
> get some input.  Also, if anybody sees some obvious disadvantage that
> I'm missing, I'd appreciate you pointing it out.

I'd be pretty surprised if the length of the steering arm didn't affect
ackerman, at least on some level.  The length of the steering arm affects
the angle of the tie rod relative to a line through the center of the
wheels, and thus _should_ affect ackerman to some extent.  I know that
some folks mill the steering rack mounting bosses on mustang racks to move
the rack backward in the car in an effort to add more ackerman effect
(front steer car, btw).

Can you add a steering quickener in SM?  They make gear boxes that work
off the steering wheel shaft that just multiply the output shaft...  I
dunno about mounting considerations in your SM car, but its probably as
easy as custom spindles would be (likely much easier actually I bet).
Also no chance it'd have bad geometry implications...

Mark