Compliance Checks

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Compliance Checks
From: "Larry Steckel" <lorenzoscribe@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 09:01:20 -0400
For  years, our local club has had the guys doing tech look over the cars
for obvious things that shouldn't be on the car. For instance, extra air
holes drilled in air boxes, headers on Stock class cars, urethane bushings
in dog bones, rear sway bars that aren't OEM etc. I'm sure that anyone who
has been competing for some time would have no trouble identifying things
that aren't kosher, even on cars that they aren't completely familiar with.

We tell the competitor that according to the rule book, that bit isn't
legal. If they are a first timer, we usually give them a pass and tell them
to correct it before the next event. For people who should know better, the
head tech inspector informs them that they are now running in Street
Prepared or Mod or whatever.  This has prevented a lot of protests over the
years and let all the competitors know that we are enforcing fair
competition.

Of course this doesn't catch cylinder heads or limited slips etc. but in
most cases, knowing that this scrutiny is there keeps a lot of stuff from
causing arguments and protests during the event.

Larry Steckel