Re: SM question

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: SM question
From: GSMnow@aol.com
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 23:41:42 EDT
In a message dated 9/16/02 9:48:01 PM Central Daylight Time,
owner-ax-digest@autox.team.net writes:

<< Question:  I have a hot rod Yugo that used to run in
 DSP then OSP, after installing the X1/9 1,500cc
 engine.  The Yugo, which was developed with Fiat,
 and based heavily on the 128 series, was originally
 equipped with a 1,100 or 1,300cc version of the
 venerable SOHC Fiat engine, which the 1,500cc
 version is a variant of.  Does the Yugo/Fiat marriage
 fall under the "joint venture between manufactures"
 (I think so)?  So, this means any Fiat engine could
 go in a Yugo, right?  Even if it were from something
 like the 124 Spider, 131 sedan, Dino, Punto Turbo
 or whatever, right? >>

As an SM competitor, that swap sounds fine to me. The YUGO is just a
re-badged FIAT that was built at a different plant. It shares more parts with
the Fiat, than most Hondas and Acuras share. The complete wording of the SM
engine swap rules was specifically written to allow the Honda B series engine
swaps into Civics. The wording seems very grey when you talk about other
swaps. Does the motor have to come from the same car body? Can an engine that
was never used in the car be swapped in? There were two Neons at Nationals
running a 2.4 litre block. No one questioned these as not being legal. But
could I drop in a Toyota 3.0L V-6 from a Pickup into my old rear drive Celica
body? The stock motor in my car (2.4L sohc 4 banger) was the base engine in
the pickup that could also be bought with the V6as an option, and it is
almost a straight bolt in except for the exhaust manifolds and oil pan. The
newer pickups now have a 3.4L 24 valve V6, but that is over the 3.0 limit for
overhead cam engines, but they also have a 16 valve twin cam 2.7L 4 banger
which should be a straight drop in. I have been thinking since I had a few
people tell me I was not able to accelerate as quick as the top SM guys
coming out of the "slow" corners. Was there a "SLOW" corner at Nationals this
year? Maybe on the south course?

Gary Meissner
42 SM
300 hp is not enough in a 2700 pound car
Don't chicken out entering the corners<<<  I need to learn this