Re: Karts aren't "Cars"

Subject: Re: Karts aren't "Cars"
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 09:05:27 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Wed, 26 Jun 2002, Dick Rasmussen wrote:
> That said, I suspect that a really big part of the lack of popularity of
> the class is that karts aren't cars . . . and autocrossers are "car folk".
>
> This isn't a "value thing" or anything "good" or "bad". It just "is". We
> relate to "cars". We are much more likely to follow car racing and read car
> mags and books than to follow kart stuff.
>
> At autocrosses, people driving "real cars" can relate to formula cars and
> sports racers as the ultimate expression of "cars".
>
> Karts are something "different" and far fewer "car folk" are interested it
> seems. It may be similar to why many folk shy away from formula 500 even
> though it is the next best bang for the buck behind karts . . . but the
> cars are harder to relate to for "car folk".

While I know that the above opinion represents many autocrossers'
feelings, please don't write things like that and imply that all
autocrossers feel that way.

I certainly don't.  And I've never been a kart competitor.

I suspect that a big problem right now with growth of the F125 karts is
that it seems like "folks in the know" either expect or want the class to
go away.  I know that I certainly wouldn't invest money in a kart in the
current situation.

What will happen to the existing F125 drivers if the class does go away?
Will they be combined with BM?  Just told to leave?

Mark