Re: BMW M3 Tires

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: BMW M3 Tires
From: BobTunnell@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 12:55:07 EST
In a message dated 2/27/02 5:59:59 AM, Scott Kassan writes:

>Well, the first couple of events of the season have come and gone. I'm
>sure that somebody out there is running a 2002 M3 in SS. What kind of
>tires are they running. I'm still having a terrible time locating a full
>set of R-compound autocross tires. The closest I've come is 245/40-18
>and 275/35-18 Hoosier R3S03s. But the spec sheet says the fronts should
>go on an minimum 8.5 inch wheel (mine are 8.0) and the rear should go on
>a minimum 10 inch wheel (mine are 9.0.) And they're road racing tires;
>they won't heat up in time for an autocross, will they?

We've been running the 245/40/18 on the front and 275/35/18 on the rear in
the R compound -- they fit the 8" and 9" wheels just fine.  And we're
switching to the 245/35/18 fronts so we can run the A compound after a little
more sorting.

And no, the R compound doesn't heat up as quickly in a typical autocross
situation.  Get the A's if you can find them if you want to be competitive
with the Z06's.  (Nitrous and a blower wouldn't hurt either. <g>)

--BT