Ode To `A Better Nation'

To: Teamdotnet <autox@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Ode To `A Better Nation'
From: Matt Murray <mattm@optonline.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 18:56:26 -0500
>From today's Hartford Courant. I thought it fitting.
http://www.ctnow.com/hc-govpoem.artdec15.story

Matt Murray
mattm@optonline.net

      Ode To `A Better Nation'
      December 15, 2001

      Gov. John G. Rowland's annual parody of Clement Clarke Moore's poem "A
Visit From St. Nicholas" has focused in the past on one clear tradition:
making fun of the famous. He has joyfully skewered everything and everyone,
from U.S. Sen. Joseph Lieberman to Hillary Clinton to Patriots owner Bob
Kraft to, often, a certain newspaper that's older than the nation. And, to
be fair, he has almost always poked fun at himself. This year, the parody is
a little different and a lot more serious. Here it is:

      'Twas the night before Christmas, and all across this great land by
our deed we proclaimed, "United We Stand!"

      For inspiration, I look at the heroes Not at the rubble, but from it,
what rose.

      Men like Todd Beamer, who touched our souls
      With his command, "Are you guys ready? Let's roll!"

      Those who lost loved ones and still call for peace,
      firefighters at ground zero on their hands and their knees, Children
who look up with innocent eyes
      and parents who answer, "It's okay to cry,"

      Who with patience and love give this explanation:
      This is our generations' test - to be a better nation."

      Then in the next room I heard the ring of a phone
      when I picked it up, a voice quickly intoned,
      "I've been talking tonight with folks across our great nation, people
of all colors, and from all destinations.

      "With those who have lost, but still can forgive
      with those who have little, but still want to give.

      "It's been a tough time, there's a lot we've been through, but one
thing won't change - it will always be true."

      The caller's identity was becoming quite clear,
      it was Santa - but why are you calling me here?

      What I heard him say next made me want to stand tall, he said, "One
nation under God, with liberty and justice for all."

      My Christmas wish is for help from above,
      and an extra helping of God's grace and love.

      Thank God for your blessing and hold your loved ones real tight, happy
holidays to all, and to all a good night.

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of
clear.gif]