Toe Measurement and Conversion

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Toe Measurement and Conversion
From: "John A. Carriere" <jacircts@mich.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2001 16:23:27 -0500
Having worked with toe and alignment equipment for longer than I care to
admit.  The alignment machines use a "Reference Diameter" to express toe in
inches.  The diameter is something like 27.75 inches - the equivalent of
the tire diameter of the tires used by the majority of the vehicles (large
land yachts) of the 50s and 60s.

Toe can be either per wheel or total toe.

A rule of thumb is for toe is:    toe in degrees is twice the toe in inches.

John Carriere
Vehicle Dynamics
GM Proving Grounds

>Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 Pete Holsberg wrote:
>
>So how do those alignment gadgets mounted on the wheel
>compensate for not knowing the radius or diameter of the
>tire???

JACircuits Autocross Timing Systems
    http://www.mich.com/~jacircts
- Timing the SCCA Solo II Nationals since 1985