Fw: Car (vehicle?) advice

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Fw: Car (vehicle?) advice
From: Scott R Sawyer <reddog_es22@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 00:24:47 -0500
        OK, so the car shopping isn't going quite as planned. The MR2 Spyder has
too little storage space for a daily driver and Acura is only offering
6.9% financing on the RSX. The Miata may still be an option, but my wife
and I have started thinking along different lines. We're also throwing
the possibility of a truck into the mix. Chevy is offering 0% financing
which makes their trucks very tempting. I wanted to poll the collective
wisdom of the list for some advice.
        A big diesel dually would be great to tow with but not as good around
town daily, especially since it will be drivebn by my wife most of the
time. It's also out of the price range we're looking at. I did a little
research at edmunds.com and it looks like a V-6 Silverado would get the
job done very nicely. I'm only planning on towing a Honda Civic (~2200 #)
on an open trailer, and the V-6 is rated to tow 8500#'s. They only list a
5 speed, is a manual better or worse than an automatic for towing? Can
you get an automatic with that engine? Will I be absolutely miserable
towing with the 4.3L V-6 or will it be "sufficient," if not ideal? Is
there any reason related to towing that makes 4wd better than 2wd? We
live in NC so winter weather is pretty much a non-issue.
        She absolutely HATES Dodge trucks (I think they are the best looking) so
they are out. She was raised in a Chevy family so there is no way I'll
get her into a Ford. Toyota puts a 3.4L 6 in the Tundra rated at 5200#,
but the 8 cylinder Tundra is stretching our budget. Would the six
cylinder be too small?
        Of course, if we get a truck the next round of questions will be about
trailers and towing :^) Thanks for the advice!

Scott Sawyer
1991 Honda Civic Si, HS 22
Team Underdog Racing, Underdog F&C
http://www.teamunderdog.com