Re: Proposal for SP cars to compete in P ??? (Rocky's History

To: "Steve Hoelscher" <stevehh@hiwaay.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Proposal for SP cars to compete in P ??? (Rocky's History
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 01:13:56 -0500
> My point all along has been that the wheel limitation that produced
> cantilever slicks is a poorly thought out rule.  Further, to accept a bad
> rule, solely because that is what we have, is foolish.

I disagree that it is a rule either poorly thought out, or bad. If it had
basic flaws, it would not have existed as long as it has. It is not the only
possibility, but it is the one that was chosen. There is no exigent need to
change it.

> It would be nice if
> fixing our rules problems didn't have financial impact on those effected,
> but that shouldn't stop us from pursuing solutions.

Yes, it should. IMHO, whenever a change imposes major financial
considerations -- and the need to spend several hundred dollars to comply
with it or take advantage of it is a major financial consideration -- then
it should not be imposed without considerable NEED for it, as opposed to any
DESIRE for it.

Not everyone has bigbucks budgets. Many of us roadrace on relative
shoestrings. Even more of us autocross on pocket-change budgets. As soon as
a rule is instituted that requires a major financial investment, then
instantly the money wins. It becomes a contest won by cubic dollars. Those
without the financial freedom can take literally years to catch up. As long
as rules remain constant from year to year, more are able to compete on an
even basis.

To use the example of this discussion -- IF cantilever tires were
disappearing from the scene, then it would be prudent to consider what to do
about it. A new wheel rule might be one solution. Using existing (narrower)
tires that currerently are available and that would fit on current wheels is
another solution. Arguments pro and con for either would likely generate a
great deal of passion, and may well define those with budgets and those
without, but in either case would be addressing an identifiable problem. As
such a problem does not now exist, imposing the suggested solution fixes
nothing, but merely changes it. Change for the sake of change is IMHO seldom
a good reason.

--Rocky