Re: New Stock Classes

To: "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: New Stock Classes
From: "Jamie Sculerati" <pullg@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 15:19:26 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: Pete Holsberg <pjh@mccc.edu>

> I just saw the list of new stock classes for next year and
> am curious as to wehat you think the competitive cars will
> be in CS, DS, ES, GS and HS.

Hmph.  You mean the marketing reclass?  And there are still enough excluded
cars to make another class....  But since you asked (and we need a good
post-Nats thread):

SS:  9 models (10 if you separate the BMW twins).  'Vettes in front, with M
Coupes and RX-7s in pursuit.  Regionally, everything, although the M5 is a
bit heavy.

AS:  10 models.  'Vettes again, mixing it up with Porsches.  Regionally, add
the BMWs and the Supra TT.

BS:  33 models -- someone slipped up here!  I'm guessing Porsches -- 944 or
968 -- and M3s.  Maybe the Audi TT, but they seem a bit overmatched.  Dark
horse:  MR2T.  Regionally, add in the 911 and 914/6, and maybe the F-body
specials.

CS: 11 models, only two count:  Miata and MR2 Spyder.  Regionally, perhaps a
well-driven 914, less chance for a Z3.

DS:  10 models, separated by drivetrains.  If you have a limited-slip diff
or AWD, you're in.  If not, you're out, unless the driver gap is fairly
large.  Looks like they grouped it by horsepower figures and didn't pay
attention to how the power got to the ground.  Mechanically, I'd give it to
either a BMW or a Lexus (assuming a manual 'box next year), but I think the
Subaru contingency will attract lots of good drivers to the WRX.  Should be
more interesting to watch than CS, though....

ES:  20-odd models, and lots of possibilities.  A Miata with an LSD.  Don't
discount any of the Porsches.  An early MR2?  Peaky, but they don't weigh
anything and they turn *inside* a dime....  Dark horse:  V6 Fiero.
Regionally, lots of stuff -- I could easily see a well-driven X 1/9, Datsun
2000 or Z-car doing pretty well -- the Tiger would be one to watch, too.
All the classes should be this way!

FS:  No change.  And they like it that way.... :) (yes, guys, it was a
*joke!*)

GS:  80-odd models?!  What DS didn't want....  Goes back to the pre-Type R
GS, with some DS and a little ES mixed in -- V6 F-bodies, Probe/MX-6 twins
(think McIver will take his MX-6 wheels off the market?), 4th gen non-VTEC
Preludes, maybe the new RSX, CRX Si, Neons and if anyone finds some
survivors, a Conquest Turbo or a VR6 Corrado.  Enough competitive cars that
it'll be fun to drive and watch.

HS:  More models than GS.  Probably alot like this year's results, though:
3 gen Civics, chased by Foci and Proteges.  Dark horses:  BMW 318, Legacy
2.5GT (these are suprisingly quick!), or a 924.  Regionally, carb'd CRXs,
Dodge GLH (big engine for this class!), 4-cyl MX-6, maybe a later 3d gen
Prelude Si.

Jamie
'92 Prelude Si (thinking about ST next year, but GS still looks like too
much fun)
Speed Demon Racing
http://www.mindspring.com/~jsculerati/sdr