re: need trainer or driving school

To: Chris Eckles <MRoadster@compuserve.com>
Subject: re: need trainer or driving school
From: Pete Holsberg <pjh@mccc.edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 10:03:39 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, Chris Eckles wrote:

> Hi Jackie -
>
> Welcome to the world of autocrossing!  You're gonna love
> it!  Mid-October, huh?  Even that far south, that is near
> the end of the season I believe - as in you won't find
> many autocrosses between then and Spring (yeah, yeah, in
> San Diego they go year round).  In the Atlanta area I
> typically only get 2 in November, one in Dec
> (chattanooga), and then nothing until Feb.
>
> Back to my advice - just go out and drive.  Do as many
> autocrosses as you can, beyond what the local club runs.
> Drive several hours to get to events.

Yesterday, at a Philly SCCA event, I saw the driver who is
the exception to that advice.

He had an instructor ride with him all his runs (6+) and
went O/C on all of them! His initial times were in the 80s
and 90s on a course where the median time was around 45!

It appeared to me that what he saw through his windshield
made no sense to him -- e.g., he missed the last cone in a
three-cone slalom 5 times.

How does one get someone like that in sync with the rest of
the novices???