Re: New Class Philosophy

To: "Caleb Miller" <millerca@one.net>
Subject: Re: New Class Philosophy
From: "Phillip Osborne" <psosborn@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 11:31:45 -0400
I would call it one mean little MF that came along, appealed to some top
drivers through their contingency program, was cheap to buy, and would pay
for itself over a year or so.  I would hardly call it a "tuner,"  whatever
that means. Are you saying it was tuned by the factory to be a bad little
MF?  I mean, it pumps out the same HP and torque as it's Highline bros and
sisses, and even the Sport model came with front and rear sway bars with
same spring rates in a two door model.  Is that a tuner also?  I can name
lots of cars with front/rear bars and stiff springs from the factory that
don't fall into the tuner category.

So what qualifies the ACR Neon as a tuner car?  What criteria does any car
have to
meet to be considered a "tuner car?"  Define this for me, and relate it to
the top new D Stock cars and tell me how they are similar.  I think weight
is about it...And if you think because a car came from the factory with
adjustable Koni's makes it a tuner car, then I submit that all those folks
with aftermarket adjustable struts and shocks, have just made their
cars "tuner cars."  So, now we have a HUGE tuner class, and you're right,
BMW's have the edge, if not the whole thing...

I would worry more about SVOs and Chrysler Conquests in this class than a
Neon of any type.  And the V6 Performance model F Bodies are a force to be
reconed with.  But, as you stated, the real ringer is the 330Ci...

Phil O.