Re: Hoosier Bias Ply - Negative Camber?

To: "Talley, Brooks" <brooks@frnk.com>, <AUTOX@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Hoosier Bias Ply - Negative Camber?
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 21:14:27 -0500
>It's just a hypothesis.  If true, my next thought would be that the best
>of both worlds might be unidirectional, side-specific tires where the
>outside wall is stiff but the inside wall is fairly pliable.
>
>But I guess if we're talking small production, autocross specific tires,
>manufacturers could just produce tires with an outer diameter that's
>larger than the inner, this giving artificial negative camber far
>surpassing factory alignment ability... which would be totally legal in
>the stock classes.

I think you have this backwards.  T/A R1 tires had stiffer inner sidewalls
than outer, and they were very tolerant of "too-positive" camber.

"Kids haven't lost the feeling that the sense of wonder is more important
than wondering what makes sense.  And if that doesn't define what it takes
to like British cars, I don't know what does." -Scott Fisher