WRX as a small car - was: Re: SM/SP

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: WRX as a small car - was: Re: SM/SP
From: MrDSM <MrAWD@excite.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 09:26:27 -0700 (PDT)
>>the WRX is really quite a small car- where did they pack in all those
>>pounds?
>
>AWD equipment?

AWD does add some weight, and that is usually around 200-250 lbs.

One thing that I don't understand is why someone is calling a WRX a small
car? That car is as large as DSM for example and I don't recall anyone
calling DSMs small cars. When I think about the small cars, I think Miata or
CRX.

Also, that WRX that was mentioned above is still about 100-150 lbs lighter
than a DSMs for example. And that is just a something to tell us that they
did work on the weight and that is the best they where able to do for that
car.

You all can probably see this trend of changes for the latest cars of
gaining some weight. Almost all of them do(M3, WRX, EVO VII,...). But, the
main reason for those extra pounds is in the increased strength of the whole
body, resistance to flexing and things that go with. I believe that car
manufacturers have decide that it is more important to have a stiffer body,
than a lighter and somewhat unsafe car (at least it will be after the
several years of torture and you will need to put in something like the
subframe connectors :)

So, to go back to the beginning of this post, WRX is no Miata or CRX. It
doesn't have place with those cars and people shouldn't think about this car
as a new C-SP toy!

Later

Fedja
95 AWD