Re: "The Fast & The Furious" - bad news for autocross

To: "Roger Johnson" <rjohnson@friendlynet.com>,
Subject: Re: "The Fast & The Furious" - bad news for autocross
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 22:32:15 -0500
Roger Johnson wrote:

>In short, this movie
>glorifies street racing, gang life, and thru something akin
>to 'product placement', Solo II.

I took a firm position several years ago on the subject of those Speed Creeps
we've heard so much about. Guys who put "necker knobs" on their steering wheels
and date girls who wear tight sweaters and skirts that don't cover their knees
are just not the right sort for our sport, IMHO.

>In my opinion, two of those
>items are NOT things to promote as wholesome activities,
>and we need to find out who was responsible for associating
>our sport with such a film.

It's those SM guys fer sure.

>It
>is clear to me that using this movie to reach the type of person
>that is portrayed in the movie, as potential Solo II competitors,
>will change the face of Solo II forever, giving us the taint of
>an outlaw, gang-related sport.

You mean more guys entering CP? No way I'm gonna stand for that.

>It is terrible enough to have the Canadians and the E/P entries;
>    they are enough of a bad influence.  I say "no more"!

I'm with you all the way on this one. Let's keep Solo II safe for Family Values
(TM).

I was wondering how much of the day would go by before we were alerted to this
menace. Thanks again, Roger.

Jay

;<)