Re: Vinyl Source?

To: "Jonathan Roberts" <jorober5@vt.edu>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Vinyl Source?
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 11:56:52 -0600
From: Jonathan Roberts <jorober5@vt.edu>

>does anyone know a good source for vinyl.  I'm looking for a roll,
>or several feet of the type that has backing to peel off and stick for
>numbers, graphics, etc.

Any sign shop.  Here in the Twin Cities, I buy from the supplier who sells
to sign shops.  I don't know where you find these places in Burlington
Vermont, but you can check the yellow pages.

I put black vinyl numbers and letters on white magnetic backgrounds.

I like 3M Controltac.  It is very easy to work with, especially for a clumsy
amateur like I.  The stuff goes on sort of semi-sticky, so you can mess up
and fix it as you go.  When everything is where you want it, slap a piece of
paper over it and work it over well with a plastic scraper.  This breaks
micro-capsules in the adhesive coating and makes the bond stronger.  It is
still possible to scrape the vinyl off and use the magnetic again,
especially if you put them in the freezer first.

Do NOT buy 3M Scotchcal.  It does not give you a second chance.  Once it's
down, it's down.  I bought this stuff by mistake once, and the numbers took
me three times as long to make, I didn't enjoy it, and the result was not up
to my usual standard.

"It makes a nice noise when it goes faster"
- 4-year-old Adam, upon seeing a bitmap of Grandma Susie's TR4.