RE: How many cylinders do you have?

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: How many cylinders do you have?
From: "Michael McAvoy" <thedoc@premier1.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 22:00:35 -0800

My current count:

 4      Saturn SC2
 6      Toyota Supra
 0      Toyota Supra parts car (received sans drivetrain)
 8      Ford F250
 0      Trailer
--
18

Do I get any partial credit for the parts car or the trailer? :)

Lifetime count, add on:

 4      Toyota MR2
 6      Pontiac Trans Sport
 8      Chevy Astro
 4      Dodge Colt
 8      Ford Falcon
 7      Buick Wildcat
--
55

The Buick was given to me when I was 14, by neighbors up the street.  It
hadn't run in several years, and I think they just didn't want to deal with
disposing of it themselves.  I only count 7 cylinders, since it had thrown a
rod.  One piston was totally shattered, and the block was ripped to pieces
around it.  Due to the limited personal resources and apparent lack of
automotive need by a 14 year old, it didn't get fixed - I never had that 8th
cylinder.

The Astro is a stretch.  I was looking for something with cargo capacity
(ended up with the Trans Sport), and my brother found this "great van for
real cheap".  At the time, my brother was more of a car person than I was,
and I trusted his judgment, he bought it for me before I even saw it.  It
was a total POS - I drove it once, and it broke after about 1/4 mile, at the
bottom of a steep hill.  It was then that I realized that every car my
brother had ever owned had six months of work in them before he actually
used them...  :)  At least we were able to sell it for what we paid, and
they buyer knew what he was in for!

As far as cylinders/year that people are quoting, I propose that you only
count years since age sixteen, since few people have cars before then.  If
you had one earlier, you get extra credit!

cylinders/year since age 16: 4.58

- Michael McAvoy