Re: What's wrong with this picture?!? (HA!)

To: Smokerbros@aol.com
Subject: Re: What's wrong with this picture?!? (HA!)
From: Paul Foster <pfoster@gdi.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 12:20:46 -0500
CHD responds:

<<<I can give you some insight into STOCK classification philosophy, and
I think
the philosophy that extends to SP, and probably SM.  Certain makes of
cars
are seen as being "greater than the sum of their parts."  Porsches are
generally seen to be one of those makes.  Look at the handling of a
924S/944/968, for instance.   It's pretty incredible, even in the
heavier
versions.  Add to that the cost to prepare a Porsche and the perception
becomes that you have to have a mega-dollar Porsche to win the class.
Yes,
we deal with "perception" all the time.  Pretty soon you have a class
with 4
rich guys in Porsches and nothing else.  That's not what SCCA is about.
Sometimes the job of SCCA committees and boards is trying to determine
how to
satisfy the largest number and piss off the fewest.  In general, you can
satisfy much larger numbers of people by excluding Porsches than by
inclu! ding
them.>>>

ROFL! Perhaps so! But I disagree with the mega-dollar part. You can
purchase a nice '87 944 Turbo for $7K or so. Add a MAF, a bigger turbo,
and some electronics for about $5K and you can get 350 reliable
horsepower at the rear wheels. Add another $5K to the handling and you
have a real nice autocross playtoy. Welcome to EM...

Paul Foster