Re: FW: Out of Office AutoReply: ?!?What does this mean?!?!?

To: "Linnhoff, Eric" <elinnhoff@smmc.saint-lukes.org>
Subject: Re: FW: Out of Office AutoReply: ?!?What does this mean?!?!?
From: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 16:58:13 -0400
"Linnhoff, Eric" wrote:
> Okay, these messages are totally obnoxious.  Whoever subs to a
> list and then turns their computer "off" ought to be hung upside
> down y their toes to dangle in a parts washer bin.  ;^)

Hmm.  It's because autox.team.net is not including a
been true since May, when Mark moved the service to a server
running at the Fat Chance Garage and Brewery.

Most autoreply software will ignore anything with Precedence: bulk
or Precedence: junk.  Of course, the Precedence: header is not
standards-based, and RFC 2076 actually discourages its use -- I
never noticed that before, even though it was published in February
1997 and this sort of thing is my job to know.  I'll apologize here
for badgering MJB about it back in May.  Sorry, Mark!

Also, most ignores anything for which the local user is not on the
To: line.  In the case of Geoff Newman, his autoreply software
apparently doesn't even do that.

Mark