Teaching an old dog new tricks

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Teaching an old dog new tricks
From: "H. W. \(Sandy\) McCullough" <smccullough@quixnet.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 10:32:13 -0400
This last weekend I autocrossed for the first time in over 20 years.
Besides realizing I was very stupid for not staying with it, I had a great
time.  I found things came back to me rather quickly in spite of the years.
I did have one point of frustration, however.  20 years ago I drove a new
MGB and did very well.  Now, I have a front wheel drive Honda.  My problem
should be very obvious.  I naturally went into rear wheel driving mode with
a front wheel drive car.  I quickly realized I had not idea how to get the
FWD to power slide through the large sweeping curves on our course.  Instead
of the rear wheel drift, I found myself stuck in a front wheel plow
(understeer).  Has anyone else made the conversion from RWD to FWD?  Did
they survive?  What different techniques do I need to be using?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

By the way, after this weekend, I'm considering restoring my old MG for
auto-x.

H. W. (Sandy) McCullough
72 MGB, 68 MGB, 87 Prelude, not to mention the family van.