$ for paving

To: "autox" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: $ for paving
From: "Dan Morency" <DMorency@gwi.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 21:23:27 -0400
Asphalt's pretty inexpensive. 2 coats for driveway 1.5 inch min with bigger
aggregate and 1 inch skin coat with smaller aggregate. approx. $1.00 per
square foot. That includes finish grading and asphalt installation with a
paving machine.

You will need a compacted base with proper drainage. I'd estimate base cost
at less than asphalt cost if area to be paved isn't a swamp. Fill's pretty
cheap, you want 18 inches to 2 feet. Use $2.00 per square foot for a rough
estimate. A 500 x 500 lot will cost you $50,000. If you have loam, remove it
and sell it for 10-14 per yard to offset cost, you don't want it anyway. You
should have no problem getting an estimate. The guys that did mine indicated
that concrete costs a bit more but will last longer, It was an option. They
reinforce it and provide expansion joints. Might not be an acceptable
autocross surface at standard driveway thickness.

My neighbor suggested that I do just that at my house, He thought I could
lay down Astroturf when not racing to keep the neighbors happy.  He needed
to have another beer I think :-)

It would be very hard to justify the expenditure without a full time use for
the lot.

I just had a 6500 square foot driveway done so these prices are current.

Dan Morency
Freeport, Maine