Re: newbie suggestions

To: "Alek Tziortzis" <alextz@ss112.rsch.comm.mot.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: newbie suggestions
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 15:02:47 -0500
Your average newbie ain't no Altenburg or Sapp.

Mark Martin drives corners in ovals with both hands at 10-11 o'clock. It
works for him after many years of doing it that way.

Just because some star does something in an odd manner does not mean it is
the best way for most people ... just the best way (or the accustomed way)
for that individual. Start with the basic method, later you tune that to the
way that works best for you. For every racer you see on TV with an odd hand
position, you will find a dozen doing it the basic way.

IMHO, 10 & 2 is the best way for a beginner. And two hands on the wheel
DEFINITELY is a must. I always emphasize getting that lazy hand off the
shift knob. The whole thing is a matter of control and you can react better
and control better if both hands are already in position to do so. One-hand
is easy when things are going right. The point is to be ready when things go
wring (which can be as simple as a little spin).

Are both your hands still at 12 o'clock in the middle of a turn? I tend to
drop to 9 & 3, with the two hands then balanced on a line thru the hub of
the wheel. Sometimes it's 10 & 4, or 8 & 2, but it is a balance thru the hub
either way.

Rocky  (then again, Alek/Alex has never decided how to spell his name
either!  :-)