RE: Ladies classes

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Ladies classes
From: "Andy Malinowski" <amalinowski@nh.bricsnet.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 15:40:27 -0400
        Might as well make my first team.net post on a controversial subject:

        In a perfect world there should be no Ladies Classes.  Why you ask? Well
because my "Johnson"(Mr happy... The one eyed Trouser snake...etc) does not
make me a faster (or slower) driver.  As "proof" of this I put up my second
autocross (out of 6 total so I'm new at this don't hurt me... :-) ) It was a
local event in Maine (cumberlandmotorclub.com) I got beat by a lady for top
novice by something on the order of .05 sec...  While I'm no Tommy Lee, if
it made a difference I think my "Johnson" could have come up with .05
seconds.  (Also in my first event the NESCC Mothers day event I think a
couple people's mom's beat me, and I don't think they had autocrossed
before either) The point is what gender you are doesn't make a difference.
Classes are classified by car.

        OK so now were in the really real world.  It seems like part of the
complaint about ladies classes is that they are almost a B league (to use
some ones intramural reference) and another suggestion was to put all the
ladies together in a single group and rank by them by PAX.  And there was
yet another suggestion that someone of the male gender enter a ladies class
and run it as there is no rule against it.  OK so what I want to do is take
these random things and squish them together, and come up with a B league
set of classes.  Think a novice class but extend novice to include people
out there for fun, and not the top cutthroat people.  OK now your like:
"This Andy fella is on Crack!  Where did he come up with this 1/2 baked
psychotic idea, if we did this everything would be destroyed."  I just think
of it as renaming the ladies classes something that will not hurt men's
ego's as much to enter.  I know I won't enter in STSL but I would probably
enter STSB (or whatever you want to call it).  Of course now we get problems
of people cherry picking the trophies in the lesser (B) classes, technically
we could already have that problem now since men can enter the ladies class,
I think the only thing stopping them is the name, and having to tell the
story to there grand kids about how they were the 2000 ladies national
champion... "But grandpa your not a lady..."  OK so that's how I see it...
I have no idea if it will work or not and this seems to lend more of a place
to keep the ladies (or B) classes in local and regional events as the
Nationals is for the "Big Dogs" and if your a Little Dog your probably just
going for fun anyway...

Just my $0.02...  Any offence was unintended...

        -Andy@oh.my.thats.long.org