RE: suspension stuff

To: "'Brian Berryhill'" <brianberryhill@usa.net>,
Subject: RE: suspension stuff
From: "Linnhoff, Eric" <elinnhoff@smmc.saint-lukes.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 16:09:15 -0500
> Sway bars:  Their basic function is to control body lean by transferring
> some of the "lift" or "dive" action of one side of the car to the other.
> Right?

They also change the handling balance of the car.  A thicker than stock rear
sway bar will try to push up on the inside wheel, limiting its traction,
giving you more oversteer.  In my Probe GT, I've lifted the rear inside
wheel under hard cornering/braking due to the stiff sway bar (22mm vs. stock
12mm).
========================
Hell, I drive a Neon.  My inside rear wheel spends most of the time off the
ground already.  ;^)

I read on some racing site (so I don't know how good it is) that
theoretically, you want the stiffest springs possible to keep geometry in
check.
=======================
I've read that as well.  And the Neons do not have the best camber curve out
there to begin with.

But, since we don't live in a perfectly smooth world, you need
springs that keep the tire in contact with the pavement.  So, you might want
600lb springs on a smooth track, but 300lb springs on a bumpy track.
==========================
I can live with a little jitteryness on bumpy roads for the improved
performance on smooth surfaces like our autocross courses.

 I read from some site that to control roll,
you must have sway bars because it would take some crazy stiff springs to
equal the effect of a sway bar.
=========================
Agreed.  Some sway bar is still needed unless it's a drag race car.  Eww,
all straights and no turns.  How boring is that.  ;^)

This is also my complaint about the Intrax springs I bought for my PGT.  I
didn't want to void the Tokico warranty by using Ground Control's, so I went
the next feasible route.
==========================
Not an issue with me.  I can get the Konis revalved any time I want to and
change the valving rates for no additional cost from several different
companies.

Again, you guys are the greatest.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
1998 Dodge Neon R/T
#69 DS    #13 TLS
eric10mm@qni.com

"When people talk, listen completely. Most people never listen."
Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961)