re: My ESP take

To: Digest Auto-x <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: My ESP take
From: Ron Katona <rkatona@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 02:44:03 -0400
First, let me start by thanking you for helping out our local auto-x
council chairman Jim Howard after his unfortunate accident on the way
home from Topeka. Jim's an autocrossing bud of mine; I see him and the
usual crowd almost every weekend here in the DC region. I'm grateful you
and so many other people offered to help. That's really important...
classing issues really aren't.

Sam Strano wrote:
> Maybe the fact that most of the griping, pro-BMW contigent weren't even in
> Topeka!  I'm tired of the opinions coming from those who know it all, but
> apparently can't find their way to Kansas.

Pro-BMW contingent? There's a contingent? Where do I sign up? I want to
be in the contingent! I want a damn BMW contingent T-shirt! <g>

Seriously, 90% of the griping (a.k.a. whining) on this issue has been
from one vocal individual opposing ESP M3s who also wasn't at Topeka
this year.

> I'm VERY tired from my adventure these last couple of days, and I'm upset
> about some other things.  You wanna aruge the points? I may or may not
> answer, but if I do it might not be pretty.

It's team.net, it ain't never pretty! ;-) I wish you a good night's
rest.

> The f*cking car is not an ESP car.  It never should have been, it ought to
> be clear now to the blindest idiots around us.  I decided to wait to see
> what happened in Topeka.  It's over.  I was right, as were about a zillion
> other people.  Get over it, fix the HUGE mistake, move it to CSP or BSP (I
> don't care).

One thing I'd really like to get an answer on. What the heck happened in
the Solo-II finals to make the late model Pony Cars disappear so much
from Tunnell AND Madarash? 1.1 seconds 1st to second, 2.6 down to the
next Pony car. Is the idea of a Pony car class even viable given the
disparity _between_ Pony Cars? If not, then you have to fill the class
out with other competitive cars. How competitive is the big debate here,
but you can't just throw sacrificial lambs at ESP in order to
accommodate the Pony Cars. That's a difficult classing decision and
perhaps one the SEB got wrong this year. It's not going to get easier
unless Pony Cars can compete against other Pony Cars though. The concept
of ESP as a Pony Car class has bigger problems than the M3 based on the
results I read.

I don't really care either as I'm too poor to chase a class. I'm stuck
with my M3 come hell or high water. Next year, I'm going to nationals.
I'll get my a$$ kicked in whatever class I'm in, but I'm going to enjoy
the hell out of being there. I hope we don't come to a shouting match
over Pony Cars and M3s on the Topeka tarmac, but I'd be damn glad to
have you follow me home... and that's all that really matters.
--
Ron Katona